I was at a loss to explain this, because I never contacted them, and didn't pay for a subscription to any Scientology related publications.
The culprit has been found, and many of my critics will be disappointed to learn neither Pokemon fans, the Distorted View fans, Gay Activists or any stripe of Liberal Activist I've criticized was involved.
My church purchased new hymnals a few months ago. The problem with these hymnals is that several of the hymns expressed views and ideologies that are contradictory to the Church's Theology. To make matters worse, it was printed by "Gia publishing" a firm named after a pagan "Earth goddess."
Debates about the use of these hymnals have been heated, and one of the hymnal proponents claiming "They're just hymns" took a membership listing and signed several of his opponents, myself among them, up for offensive and often cult related mailings. So far we figure he spent at least $2,000 on this petty harassment.
Scientology is just the tip of the iceberg.
- An elderly man who lives alone has been receiving samples of feminine hygiene product.
- A member who'd had a hysterectomy has been put on an "Expectant mothers" mailing list.
- Two sisters who live together are now receiving a gay porn magazine. They've reported the company to the Postal Inspector for sending obscene material through the mail.
- Almost everyone who opposes the use of the hymnals has received at least one copy of the Book of Mormon.
- A World War II Vet who was a POW in the South Pacific is receiving material for a "Learn Japanese" correspondence school, and several Holocaust survivors have received Neo-Nazi materials and pamphlets from a "Learn German at home" program.
Only one man had no offensive material to report, and he confessed to the harassment.
He is no longer a member of the church.